Thursday, November 8, 2012

State Volleyball

State Volleyball is here in the Fieldhouse this weekend which brings back such great memories. You are probably surprised to hear that I played volleyball in high school and don't assume I was a setter either based on my size. I was in fact a strongside hitter but pretty certain that Kyle (our volleyball coach) wouldn't have recruited me. Fortunately in my career we didn't have the spandex. Otherwise I would have probably been pulling on those all game rather than digging for the ball. I love to watch recruits in a different sport to see the consistencies in how they handle the big stage of state championships. What is their leadership like and most importantly can a basketball player get down that volleyball group cheer? Most basketball players can't and or don't really want to. I have watched many of our great bobcats play other sports. For example, Katie Bussey was an incredible outside hitter. Lindsay Stockton was versatile at the net as well as the back row and had a deadly arm. She had such great precision in her placement of the volleyball and Kyle knows she is not available until her fifth year. Jackie Elliot was as tenacious in soccer as she is on the court and I remember her checking an opponenet on the field that opposing parents weren't real fond of. Inside I was cheering! As I sat in the gym this morning I went through our roster on who was a multisport athlete in high school and I would say the majority of our players were. So parents, encourage your daughters to mix it up. It's great for their athleticism and great for their bodies to get a change. Just make sure in the end their favorite is basketball. Good luck to all those at state this weekend! Coach Bin

No comments: