Thursday, July 15, 2010

First Round Done!

To catch you up to speed, my family drove with me from Oregon City to Seattle Washington to watch the MSNM Tournament.

Here is what you DON'T do at University of Washington during the summer.

1) Don't drink coffee Peg Swadener (PSU Assistant Coach) It's 100 degrees in the gym
2) Don't go to the gym without your sunglasses. I ran into my old teammate Adia Barnes who I played with for the Cleveland Rockers. She is now doing the broadcasts for the Seattle Storm. Adia is perfect for television with her deep voice and beautiful face, but Adia, the bright neon lime green shoes might be too much for the viewers.
3) Don't tell too many June Daughtery stories (my former coach at BSU) although the pregnant and yelllow suit story when we played at UCLA is a must. That will be a blog for another time.

On from Seattle, I headed to Chicago on the redeye, my first and last experience. Between the middle seat and the bad body odor smeltering around I did not get an ounce of sleep. I was able to improve on my gag reflexes however without losing my dinner.

Chicago has an interesting way of countering the recent economic struggles. Just charge every motorist with a toll fee every time they get on and off the freeway. So you know, "express lane" is only for vehicles who have a purchased I Pass, not when you have exact change, not that I speak from past experience.

Chicago had a very solid tournament and although it was spread out all of the place I only had three frustrations;

1) air conditioning rises (hence-the coaches who watch from above have just moved to Bozeman in the winter and I did not pack that kind of clothing)
2) watching games from above you have two options. a) you can sit and peak through the railing b) you can stand and look over the railing. How do you take notes like that? I wish coaches would have seen me like that as heights are very deceptive and they may have believed I was actually 5'8 or maybe even 5'5.
3) which really has nothing to do with Chicago but for all Subway sandwich chains. Do you really think we can read your menu? What pressure to even find what you are looking for by the time they ask you what you want.

After two weeks on the road I landed safely in Bozeman just in time for "kite" flying with the kids. How fast do your kids grow in two weeks?

They start speaking in sentences. Favorite Brooklyn quote after this last trip happened to be at 4:00am when they were with me in Oregon City.

Brooklyn woke up and said "what are you doing mama?"

Coach Bin

No comments: