Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Self Discipline

What a weekend of events. It's always emotional to watch our young student athletes reach their collegiate destination, that hard earned college diploma. I am so excited for their next ventures in life as I know they will all have a profound impact on our society. In sitting their during the graduation ceremony in the Fieldhouse, I began to process my four years with them, their shining moments, their adverse fights, and some of the opportunities that I missed with them. As a coach and a teacher, I reflect on our student athlete's careers and how it's so important for me to slow down in my own world to be a greater impact on their behalf. One of the areas I have committed myself to is taking my quiet time every morning before I begin my busy day. That moment of silence, the time in my devotion I can think, listen, focus and hopefully use that to prepare me for the day of opportunities ahead. Many times those opportunities are right in front of me and I miss either by distraction, busyness, or lack of boldness. I am a work in progress, but my daily goal is to be more than present, to be alert! I just opened up a wonderful card this morning from one of my student athletes with a profound scripture from Corinthians 9:24-27. Here is what Paul says. 24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. Paul was one of the most dedicated and focused disciples I can think of. His motivation was an eternal destination with Christ, with daily goals of seizing opportunities with others. I am so thankful for this opportunity to teach, mentor, and to be so humbled every day when I learn from my own student athletes. What a great job but more importantly what a great responsiblity not to waste. Coach Bin

No comments: