Friday, June 28, 2013

Cooking Tutorial

I am not necessarily the one to give cooking advice as my father is the chef in my family, but I do know how to create some healthy dishes in 20 minutes or less. With the schedules student athletes have it's also necessary for them to know how to make some good meals quickly. So that's what we decided to do. Since we are in our first 6 week session of summer school the staff came up with 3 different meals (under 20 minutes), divided the players into three different groups and had the team cook the meals. The first meal was the "Bader Delight" named by my dad which had sausage (can subsitute a turkey sausage), cabbage, onion, and potato. I think our athletes were intimated by the cabbage as they selected a few leaves rather than the whole ball to put in. I must say, it was a DELIGHT. The second meal was Coach Starr's dish that was a Tai Chicken noodle dish that turned out to be yummy with a nice spicy kick to it. This dish forced my son to run to our neighbors for a bigger pot, but that's the advantage of having great neighbors. The last meal Coach Barney oversaw which included salmon, salad, and rice. Our newest member to the squad Mekayla Carew pretty much too over like Rachel Rae from the cooking network and seasoned the salmon and created an incredible dressing for the salad. After that I encouraged the team just to have Mekayla cook the rest of the meals. After it was all said and done, I decided it was time for a bigger kitchen, more pots and pans, and Ausha decided this should not be considered an "occassional" meal since they made it. Good work ladies. Three dishes down, and the next 4 weeks they will rotate between their houses giving their teammates their favorite meals as well. I can't wait to see what Kalli Durham comes up with! Coach Bin

No comments: