6) We are getting healthier late in the season which is almost unheard of. Sarah's knee is getting stronger, Jenny is working through her legs with toughness, and Katie can finally get down in her athletic stance. Our trainer found her a chiropractor and she can now move like before her injury!
7) Senior night clinches the third spot for the Big Sky Tournament; Mara Hoefer has her career high with her parents watching her for the first time all the way from Germany. Nubia Garcia breaks a 1,000 career points, and Anne Phippard his a time out drawn play to hit a 3 for all players to have scored. We head into tournament with great momentum.
8) Nominations are announced for Big Sky All Conference. Erica Perry is 1st Team, Nubia Garcia 2nd Team, and Katie Bussey Freshman of the Year. We feel the team is coming together with our new offense, getting healthy, and grasping our defense at the right time.
9) Open up tournament with NAU who was our most difficult matchup of the year. Erica does her damage, Nubia defends like the Defensive Player of the Year and Freshman of the Year makes HUGE baskets down the stretch to send us in to the semi final round.
10) Our season finished 2 games short of our hopes to a high octane PSU, but we feel that our inconsistent up and down season finished on a solid 6-8 wins to losses down the stretch. Given our circumstances, obstacles, we did not give up, but instead regrouped and found a way to make a competitive run. That is PERSEVERENCE.
After a 3 hour banquet highlighting the year with an amazing highlight video by Coach Scanson, here were the team awards.
Academics: 4 President's List (straight A's) Anne, Sarah, Jamie, Mara
Most Improved Academically: Jenny
MSU Excellence: Mara Hoefer
Team: Will be in Top 15 again this year nationally. 6 players All Big Sky Academic Team
Community Service: Erica
Awards voted by Team
6th Man: Jamie
Defensive Player: Nubia
Most Improved: Mara
Bobcat Pride (voted by coaches): Anne
Tyler, our radio announcer told a few jokes that I won't throw out, and had a few laughs and tears and recapped why it is so fun to be a Bobcat! You get challenged, you grow, you compete, you have a blast, and you have a complete student athlete experience on and off the court.
I will miss these seniors, but like I told them last night. The foundation that was once broke four years ago when they started with me in this program is now fixed. It is stable because of their hard work and ready for the next step!
Thank you to the 2008-2009 WBB squad. What a year full of memories that will never be forgotten.