Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Counting Thanksgiving Calories

I have been reading the paper and articles on the internet all week about healthier low calorie recipes for our Thanksgiving meal. All I have to say is REALLY?

I believe in healthy nutrition. Just ask my players, but I also believe in moderation and enjoying special occasions the way they should be enjoyed. It's like going to California every 6 months and NOT ordering an In N Out Burger just because it isn't as healthy as a salad. Are you kidding me?

Let me take it one step further. Changing your mom's (or dad in my household) buttery mouth watering mashed potatos and gravy for a cardboard 0% fat recipe is like NOT having a cake on your birthday! Are you going to skip the cake just because it has fat in it?

The holidays bring tradition, family, friends, and loved ones together, and we should ENJOY it. If it means a few extra calories on a day of special occasion, then so be it.

We will have 50+ people this Thanksgiving including our team, family, and friends. We will eat some healthy and some fattening dishes. I also know our players will work it off this week and the next two days following for our Thanksgiving Tournament.

For the rest of us, we can just add a few extra workouts so we can enjoy the company that have given us so much in life. Don't let recipes change what this holiday is about.

I am thankful for my family and friends, and especially my team this Thanksgiving. They are students, then athletes, BIG personalities, but most importantly women of strong character.

And because I appreciate what they do and who they are I may even let them have dessert!

Coach Bin

No comments: