Friday, May 22, 2009

TAKE IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL


Today I am going to skip ahead and talk about something I added to my game when I went from college to the pros.

What was interesting about playing my first professional season in Australia was their style of basketball. The athletes looked like track stars and they ALL loved the bank shot. As the "import" I also learned you are expected to score a certain amount of points every game.

One element that I noticed which I immediately drilled into my game was the bank shot. I am not just talking about the 5-10 foot pull up on a 2 on 1 fast break. Australian basketball players could bank from the center of the key and any angle in between out to nearly the 3 point line.

If you think about it, the bank shot is the highest percentage shot because the ball typically falls at a higher angle increasing the size of the cylinder. Why wouldn't someone want to perfect this shot. You can not only use it in transition, any jump shot, put back, lob, but getting fouled in the process still allows the ball to have a chance.

So go out and start a game of PIG with all angles using the bank. You won't regret it, will increase your percentages, and take your game to the next level.

I just hope for the rest of you, that a unitard is not the team uniform.

Coach Bin

No comments: