Thursday, September 10, 2009

Coaching Philosophies

I believe we all want to be the best at what we do. You learn from the coaches that have developed you, what you liked, didn't like, and mold to your strengths. Here are some of the points I have taken from my own mentors that have impacted the way I approach the game today.

John Meadows-Boulder Rockies, club coach. He made the game FUN! John is larger than life physically and mentally, and everyone who played for him experienced a whole new passion for the game both on and off the floor.

June Daughtery-Boise State University, college coach. My first encounter says it all when she showed up at my doorstep for my home visit standing 6'3 and telling me I looked taller at only 5'4 (with shoes on). She had a way about her that made you feel you could take on Michael Jordan.

Dan Hughes-Cleveland Rockers, WNBA coach. Dan made the game simple, "play hard, play smart," but his secret was to keep players that would compete in every drill. Good luck to the San Antonio Silver Starzz as the fight to make the WNBA playoffs. I have no doubt they will finish strong.

What great mentors I have in this great sport. Good luck to all the coaches out there because you will impact a life today. Make it a positive one.

Coach Bin

1 comment:

Helen said...

Always great to hear from you and your memories of the W. Good health to you and your team this season.