Wednesday, June 10, 2009

PRIDE




You will be extremely proud of me as I played basketball this past week. Not only did I pick up the ball again, but I played two days in a row, then played volleyball, and then played basketball again!

Three questions came to mind as I picked up my favorite sport in life.

1) What was I thinking?

2) What part of my body doesn't hurt?

3) Where did my game go?

As a competitive person, it has taken me FOUR years to get back to this game because I knew I wasn't going to be remotely close to being as good as I was at my prime. I suppose two children and coaching may have had some impact on that.

What I came to terms with is that I won't be as good as I used to be and that is ok, or in other words, throw away your PRIDE.

Example: Mara Hoefer, recent graduate. Decided she would play ball with us. As I am stretching before we start our first game, Mara asks a guy shooting in the gym if he wants to play with a former WNBA player. I am thinking, please don't say that. I don't want to embarrass the WNBA.
Here is a recap.

Day 1) A lot of shake and bake, along with slip and trip on the floor. Remembering what I used to be able to do was like riding a bike, physically performing those moves was a tougher task. Did my feet get cut off?

Day 2) A bit of stiffness and soreness. Instead of taking it to the rack, a better agenda was to drain it from DOWNTOWN!!!! I didn't want to pull something but the "Swish Trish" was more like the "Bricking Binford!"

Day 3) Let's change it up and move to volleyball. I can rest my muscles for a day and just enjoy the competition. WRONG. I forgot how much you jump in volleyball. I guess I should have said how much I USED to jump in volleyball as I have since become vertically challenged. Oh, and I forgot to mention that my shoulder still hurts three days later from spiking.

Day 4) Back on the court-I think I may have pulled my quad. I am old. Dang it. I forgot to ease into it. That mentality has not changed at all.

With all of this being said, my love for this game hasn't gone anywhere. I was brought to life again just loving every aspect of it. I am having a blast this summer, and I can't think of a better way to get back in shape then being on a basketball court.

Go Cats!

1 comment:

Helen said...

Let's not talk about the day after my 10 mile tromp through the woods.

All I can say is I was feeling virtuous WHILE I was doing it... afterwards, not so much.....