Friday, July 3, 2009

Camping

I just returned form Dworshak State Park with my family. Nearly 20 in our party, it was nearly a Binford family reunion. The trip was a success without any major injuries, my 11month daughter sleeping through the night, and no bear encounters.

With that being said I thought I would give you the pros and cons of my last camping trip

Pros
1) No cell service = break the phone addiction. It was amazing to not be able to check my e-mails, messages, etc.
2) Eating. Everything tastes great when you camp. When I was a kid my sister, brother, and I all loved SPAM when we camped. We finally got our dad to buy it for the house even though he said we wouldn't like it. Dad's are always right. It was horrible. This trip, however, we ate better than when we are at home. It may be the first time I gained more weight while camping.
3) Rest. For some camping might not be restful, but to me being in the woods, taking in God's creation, listening to the crackling campfire, and laying out on the dock put me at complete peace. That is until your brother-in-law does a cannon ball dive right next to of course.

Cons
1) The bathrooms. There are a variety of ways to go to the bathroom. a) cop a squat-you never know what's behind you b) RV-toilet included-not real camping. We are tenters in our family c) jump in the lake-where everyone else is waterskiing d) outhouse-this trip included 2 gag reflexes from the stench and a National Geographic insect the size of my hand. He was just staring at me.

2) The cleanliness. This trip we did have showers and running water so my daughter smelled pretty rosy. The rest of us did jump in that lake (look at con #1). I also am not quite sure about the ten second rule for food falling on the ground when it's around the campfire.

3) Packing & Unpacking. Can I just say my husband is an animal in this department. Not only do we have to think about packing tents, sleeping bags, etc. but boat supplies, food, cooking gear, baby pack and play, flashlights.

Oh wait, did I say WE? I meant Todd had to do that. I am on vacation relaxing, remember?

Coach Bin

No comments: